Thanksgiving is not the only time to think about gratitude, but it sure is a popular one. I like to write three things I’m grateful for everyday, as it trains my brain to see the abundance of all that is good in my life instead of focusing on the bad. The process of focusing on gratitude can instantly turn any day around.
“Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it”
― Ernest Holmes
If you don’t have a regular practice of noticing your gratitude, Thanksgiving can be a great time to start. Here are some things and people I’m grateful for. Some are BIG global ideas, some are really personal, but they all mean a lot to me.
- I’m grateful for a loving, playful, adventurous relationship with my husband.
- I’m grateful for the love of my family.
- I’m grateful for friends that are like family. Framily.
- I’m grateful for cuddles from Sammie, the cat.
- I’m grateful for my inspiring clients taking action towards their dreams, and the people who help my business run (especially Mandy)!
- I’m grateful we live in a time where being an entrepreneur is celebrated and easier than ever.
- I’m grateful for the filming opportunities in Chicago (Yay Chicago Med)!
- I’m grateful for my agents who work harder than anyone I know.
- I’m grateful for heat in my apartment and food on my plate.
- I’m grateful for my fellow Union members, SAG-AFTRA, and unions in general for helping people earn a living wage and providing protections to employees.
- I’m grateful that more people who deserve to have a voice and be seen are running for elections …and they are winning!
- I’m grateful that allies of oppressed people are becoming more aware of their part in oppression, and are more proactive to stop it.
- I’m grateful that men are being held accountable for their actions more instead of saying, “Boys will be boys.”
- I’m grateful that we have access to ideas, people, books, seminars, and classes from all over the world at our fingertips.
- I’m grateful for stories from The Moth (I'm obsessed!!) and other NPR podcasts.
- I’m grateful for the weekly dose of inspiration, meditation and community from Bodhi Spiritual Center.
- I’m grateful for the abundance I experience all around.
It may have been a tough year for you. Or it may have been a year full of celebrations and wins. Either way, when you look back on all the amazing things that happened, you can get a little perspective. What are you grateful for this year? Make your own list of 17 things, and if you want, share it in the comments below!
If you’re in the United States, have a happy Thanksgiving! And if holidays are stressful, check out this blog I wrote last year for the holiday season.